Electric meter beeping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can I ask for advice.

On Friday and Sunday in the middle of the night, I was woken by my electric meter beeping. It starts off with a slow intermittent beep - like when a smoke alarm battery is running out of power - then changes to two beeps together, then three together, then finally a fast beep-beep-beep-beep. All this lasts for about two minutes and then stops. There is no interruption in electricity supply.

I have both carbon monoxide and smoke detectors but the sound isn't coming from them. The sound isn't as loud as this, it's as loud as an alarm clock.

The meter is not a pay meter. It is a white oblong box of about 4 inches which counts the units of electricity.

It has never done this before. It isn't newly fitted. I don't know if this is a coincidence but I had an electrician in on Friday fitting a new switch for a central heating pump. He didn't switch the mains electric off, only the fuse (I've got one of those long fuse boxes) in the area he was working.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to what's causing this and how I can stop it.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
If it is definitely coming from your meter then you need to speak to your electricity supplier, the meter is their property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back