Low battery warning beeping coming from electric cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought this was a smoke alarm low battery warning but there's no smoke alarm in the cupboard. Cleared everything out of the cupboard and beeping appears to be coming from consumer unit/elec meter area. There's a consumer unit, a Seimens digital meter, and what I think is a transformer for the door bell. Any ideas ? Wasn't aware of anything in this area that could give a low battery warning sound. :?:

Sponsored Links
If you're sure it's one of those three items then the only one likely to make a beeping sound is the digital meter, unless you have some form of timer/other electronic module in your consumer unit.

There's nothing else in there.

Why would the meter beep and would it sound like a low batt smoke alarm warning ie about one beep every minute or so?

Sponsored Links
post photo's of the inside of the cupboard, close ups of the fuse board, meter, and anythig else in there so we can see what's what..

Thanks for the replies. Before I post a photo I want to check out something else tomorrow.

The low battery warning beep is a difficult noise to pin down exactly where it's coming from. If you were stood under the smoke alarm in the hall outside the meter cupboard you'd swear it was coming from the alarm.

But when you open the meter cupboard you realise the beep is coming from in there. However on the other side of the wall where the consumer unit/elec meter are mounted is a cloakroom of another flat. Will check this out tomorrow, if the noise has fooled us once as to where it is coming from it may have fooled us again. If no joy in cloakroom will post photo. Thanks.

Check there isn't a battery smoke detector in a box in the cupboard... took us three hours of insanity on one job to track the source of the occasional annoying beep! :D

Well it wasn't coming from adjacent flat.

Decided to empty the cupboard myself, previosly the flat owner had emptied it and said beeping was still coming from inside the cupboard.

Put the contents at far end of corridor, and guess what the next beep came from the far end of the corridor. Turned out to be an old smoke alarm in the bottom of a bin liner with some old shower fittings.

Looks like her plumber/nephew had renewed some shower fittings at some time in the past and must have renewed the smoke alarm at the same time, but still left the batt in the old alarm. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back