Mains Powered Smoke Alarms.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im thinking of getting some mains powered smoke alarms for my place. They may not be part of the regs, but I'd like them for piece of mind and to look posh...

Im after the Kidde brand as I used to work with them all the time (Kidde Fynetics) However I've been told that these are now discontinued.

We use to put the heat detector in the kitchen, the Ion in the hall way and the optical in the living room and the top of the landing, Is this still the case as I don't seem to see many heat detectors these days?

From what I gather the general consensus at the moment is that you use 2 Ions for the kitchen and downstairs landing and the optics for the living room and the up stairs landing, Any one want to elaborate on this?

Thanks, Stef

Sponsored Links
Why not use ionising in the living room, unless you have a log fire they are far superior, I would put the optical in the kitchen for when you burn the toast :LOL:

if you are doing it to the regs you should have;

detector to base of stairwell lower floor
detector to first floor
heat in kitchen

optical are really good, less prone to false alarms
ionisation are prone to false alarms
heats only false alarm when you burn the kitchen down!!!!!

but if your just doing it because you can, stick em everywere!!!

Kidde Fyrenetics are still producing the mains detectors and i know because if we are doing residential works we only use KIdde ones, (because they are good)

oasis

regs for domestic smokes are BS/EN 5836 Part 6

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back