mains smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having had the loft converted i now need fire doors and a smoke alarm on each floor........they have to be mains operated but was just wondering if these could be connected to a burglar alarm as someone told me they could.i have a burglar alarm that aint working so gonna replace it but just wondering if i could kill 2 birds with 1 stone
cheers guys

Sponsored Links
think you will find that that doesnt comply with building regs.

you should also be aware that smoke detectors on a burglar alarm are just that. smoke detectors on a burglar alarm, NOT as some think a fire alarm come burglar alarm (or vice versa)

I think that what magico wants is to have the building regs approved smoke alarms also operate the burglar alarm. I suspect there will be a way to use the interlink terminal for this purpose. On the other hand, tapping this for external use might in itself contravene the regs.

In any case it would also be necessary to devise an interface between the mains powered smoke alarms and the low voltage burglar alarm circuit board. I think it would be just as easy to place a microphone near a smoke alarm and feed that through an interface to the burglar alarm.

Incidentally magico, did you know that those alarms have to be interlinked and have battery backup?

most "new" alarms can have smoke detectors, no problem, but as i said dont think building regs people would be happy

Sponsored Links
I've just had this discussion with the regs people and the burglar alarm and the smoke alarm systems HAVE to be independant.

It is a real pain because I was thinking of having the two combined. Even found a spot on unit to do the job. Discussed it with the regulators and they p****d on my bonfire completely and told me it was against regulations ....

Cant remember exactly which regs it breaks because I stopped listening :)

All reputable makes of mains interlinkable smokes (such as aico) manufacture 'relay bases', these fit between the ceiling and the detector. You fit one of these to ONE detector, and link it to a zone programmed at fire on the intruder panel using intruder alarm cable. The base segregates LV and ELV with a barrier.

its even easier to get 12v smoke detectors for the intruder alarm. But as has been mentioned it does not comply with building regs

dont think so, i think its to do with the fact that it will be wired to an intruder alarm that is the "problem" something to do with new reg that came out in 1992.

intruder alarm smoke detectors are also "isolated" from the supply, in that they too have clean contacts, but most make no noise, relying on the intruder alarms sounders to do that.

see this

I suggested mains interlinked detectors that do comply, linked to the intruder alarm via a single relay base. This relay would trigger intruder alarm to dial the autodialler (no need for internal sounders).

This complies, as you have your mains interlinked detectors in place.

To summerise, you have your normal interlinked detectors, these have battery backup, and a sounder in them. These will operate as normal.

You lin kone of these to the intruder panel via a relay base, this relay energises when the smoke sounder goes off.

You program the panel to do as you wish with this - bells, internal sounder, dialer etc etc.

you assume an auto dialer, what if sytem is "bells only", the whole idea of stand alone smoke alarms is to make noise to wake / alert occupants (if present asleep)

let us agree to disagree ?

I said from the start to link mains interlinked detectors to the panel. I was adding to the commend made above by someone saying 'you must be able to use the interlink to trigger the intruder' or similar text. The relay base does this.

I do not think we are disagreeing. What I say is compliant and will work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back