smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to wire two mains interlinked smoke alarms. Split load rcd board however i believe smoke alarms have to be on their own not rcd protected especially away from rcd that covers socket outlets. But i was wondering if i could take a feed from lighting circuit that is protected by an rcd to my smoke alarm then a 3 core+earth to other smoke alarm, because regs say you can do this.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
if i could take a feed from lighting circuit that is protected by an rcd to my smoke alarm then a 3 core+earth to other smoke alarm,
Yes, that is the usual method.

The cable will very likely mean an RCD is required.
The smoke alarms themselves do not, but doesn't matter if they have one.

Yes, that is the usual method.

The cable will very likely mean an RCD is required.
The smoke alarms themselves do not, but doesn't matter if they have one.
Ah so i can take a feed from lighting jb and loop the alarms with 3 core, i did see something about smoke alarms being able to be “isolated” without turning off the lighting circuit however does this necessarily mean a switch? because they do technically get isolated when you untwist the smoke alarm from the ceiling.

Thanks

Yes but the base is still live! so how is that isolating

Adding accessories to a circuit.....RCD needs changing to type A, Amendment 2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back