Fitting mains powered smoke alarms.

Sponsored Links
.... in Wales there were moves to have sprinklers fitted in new builds, but for a sprinkler to work it needs water, so the roof has to be much stronger to take the weight, and the builders pointed out what it would mean in cost ...
Unless things are very different in Wales, that sounds very odd.

I have (fortunately!) yet to come across any roofspace in which a single ceiling joist is not able to happily bear my weight, so a water storage tank with its weight spread across a number of joists should be fine - and that's precisely what millions of houses (including mine) already do have. Anyway, would sprinkler systems powered by mains water (rather than stored water) not be allowed (I would have thought that standard water storage tanks might be too small) ?

Kind Regards, John

I don't think this is incorrect.

"In England it common to have a large tank of water in the loft with no problems."

Sponsored Links
What IS incorrect is this…. Yet again it’s you assuming something and misleading the unwary reader.
Maybe he'll argue that he is taking the word "retrospective". It is correct that legislation of this type can never be truly retrospective - one cannot be prosecuted for doing something that was legal when one did it, but subsequently became illegal because of the introduction of new legislation.

However, the important point, which you are making, and about which readers may be mislead by winston's comment, is that is most definitely IS the case that new legislation can make things illegal from the day of their introduction, even though if they relate to ongoing situations which would have been legal the day before - and that appears to be the case with the Scottish legislation we are discussing.

There was a day on which it became illegal to grow cannabis - and the fact that someone had, prior to that date, 'been growing it for years' would not make it legal to carry on growing it into the future - even though the legislation was "not retrospective" (i..e. could not have been used for prosecuting someone for growing cannabis prior to the introduction of the legislation which outlawed it) :)

Kind Regards, John .

Anyway, would sprinkler systems powered by mains water (rather than stored water) not be allowed

Getting further from the topic but they should be at mains pressure, not fed by storage cisterns.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back