Confused about rules for fitting new smoke alarms?

I've no idea, but the electrical inspector who tested my rental to comply with https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/312/regulation/3/made - faulted it on the condition report, because it was fed from a spur off the the light circuit junction box and not directly from the CU. It made no sense to me as the CU was in the same room, so it was hardly masses of work pushing the cable down.

Could it be that there is a risk it is disconnected when work is done on the lights?

Sponsored Links
I was interested to read that the new regulations governing smoke alarms in Scotland that come into play in Feb 2022 are on the back of Grenfell.

Every household needs interlinked alarms - at least one smoke alarm in the main living area, a heat alarm in the kitchen and a CO2 alarm if you have a fire etc. Just cost me a fortune in bloody alarms but might as well do it right now and then not have to worry about it.

The reality of smoke alarms in dwellings:
  • BS7671 has no information on what type of circuit should be used, or anything else about smoke alarms other than 560.10 which states they should comply with the relevant parts of BS5839.
  • Legislation has no information on what type of circuit should be used.
  • BS5839-6 has two options for Grade D systems:
grade-D-5839-6.png

Option 2 being the most usual choice, as failure of that circuit is immediately obvious and smoke alarms are almost always located on the ceiling where a lighting circuit already exists.
For the Aico / Ei devices, the base is the means of isolation for each alarm.

Persons 'failing' an installation when carrying out an EICR are incompetent at best, and in many cases charlatans with the sole purpose of extracting money for unnecessary repair works.

Sponsored Links
  • BS7671 has no information on what type of circuit should be used, or anything else about smoke alarms other than 560.10 which states they should comply with the relevant parts of BS5839.
View attachment 241359

Option 2 being the most usual choice, as failure of that circuit is immediately obvious and smoke alarms are almost always located on the ceiling where a lighting circuit already exists.

Persons 'failing' an installation when carrying out an EICR are incompetent at best, and in many cases charlatans with the sole purpose of extracting money for unnecessary repair works.

Thank you for the clarification. That all seems very straight forward to me. I'll just extend the lighting circuit to the alarm. Cheers :)

In signing he says among other things that he designed and supervised the work. Did he? Or are you going to be implicated in him lying?
That's just not true. Why do you make this stuff up?

The standard IEE EIC form has three separate spaces for signatures of the people who have designed, constructed and inspected & tested the installation noted on the form.

@uptown,
If using AICO brand and you are fitting serveral alarms I would suggest you also fit a control panel.
Simple but also Very useful in testing and controlling the system.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=aico+control+panel

Thanks. I'm fitting these ones:
https://www.safelincs.co.uk/fireangel-pro-connected-fp1640w2r-mains-powered-smoke-alarm/

There is a control panel though but I wasn't going to fit one as I didn't require access via an 'app' or anything but may look into them more based on your advice. Thanks again :)

View attachment 241359

yes. But the legislation gives them the power to behave like this given the time limit to fix defects identified

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back