mains smoke alarms

i never said it wouldnt work either, just that it seems not to comply with building regs, as in all buildings must have .............. (what ever it says)

Sponsored Links
Aslong as it has mains interlinked in the standard way, an extra connection via the relay to an intruder alarm will not affect the regs (in my opinion). The system will still function as required by the regs, but will also trigger the intruder alarm as you wish.

I have done this on two huge houses, and building control didn't pick it up (but they dont pick up much :rolleyes: Told me to put fire hoods over the downlights in a two storey extension, the downlights being in the bathroom on the 2nd storey - no room above! Wrote a stern letter, and recieved an apology ;) )

Aslong as it has mains interlinked in the standard way, an extra connection via the relay to an intruder alarm will not affect the regs (in my opinion).

And your opinion is correct. The problem might lie in getting a building inspector to accept it. We have a very similar problem with our accelerators. There are times when we would really like to attach a bit of test equipment to track down an intermittent fault but various powers that be hold up their hands in horror. "You might upset the dosimetry" they cry. Or "You'll invalidate the warranty!" It's pointless to argue electronics with them. Can you convince a building inspector that the relay base won't compromise the integrity of the alarm system? Failing that, can you hide it???

If the relay base is made by the manufacturer, I really do not see a problem. The building inspector should realise that.

Seems a sensible thing to do to me.

Sponsored Links
Put up the cheapest compliant ones you can find.

Change them for what you want after Mr Jobsworth has gone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back