Mains supply through attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in an early 1900s mid-terrace cottage. The mains supply comes in one side of the house, from a pole in the street, through an open eave. It then crosses, at attic floor level, to the other side of the house where it drops down to the meter/consumer unit cupboard at first floor level. Across the attic, the cable is laid-in loose.

The eave, where the cable runs, is currently insufficiently insulated, and is letting in considerable draught - even on relatively calm days. I'm assuming that the cable should be secured and I can address that, but does the cable have to be kept away from the insulation? As things are, if I don't/can't re-route the cable the insulation material would be laid over it.

The cable is slightly less than 15mm O.D and, if it is relevant, the supply fuse before the meter is 60amp.

TIA
Stuart

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks for ^^^ that. To be honest, my previous encounters with our DNO have been met with demands for extortionate amounts of money to carry-out what are - on the face of it - relatively straightforward jobs. ......Or very lengthy waits to get the work done. :mad:

I would argue that it’s current method of installation is less than ideal, given that the only form of protection on it will be a fuse somewhere between 200 and 400amps at the local substation, which will possibly not blow if that cable were to be damaged. If nothing else they may come out and clip it safely out of the way, best case they may replace it and reroute it.

Depends on who your DNO is and who comes out to look at it, you may get some complete jobs worth. You may get some linesmen come out who are only too happy to help. Tea and biscuits may swing it for you!

Sponsored Links
I would certainly not want to put insulation around the main service cable to a house. I can practically guarantee that it's size was not calculated with insulation in mind.

If it's a modern plastic cable and there is sufficient slack then carefully clipping it out of the way may be an option. If it is an old cable I would strongly advise against disturbing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back