The Mains Supply Cable - has been uncovered

upload_2017-7-19_14-25-41.png

That looks like fox poo.

Joking aside, give them a bell. Get kettle boiling and a nice variety of choccy biccies ready to woo them with.

Sponsored Links
If you're unsure that it's the mains supply, then how about offering non contact volt pen to it to see if it lights up?

If it lights up that might indicate that the cable is live, but it won't prove it's the supply cable.

If it doesn't light up then that might indicate that the cable is dead or it might indicate that the wand has run out of magic.

Sponsored Links
If you're unsure that it's the mains supply, then how about offering non contact volt pen to it to see if it lights up?
That is unlikely to work with any supply cable due to the earthed outer or concentric neutral.

Okay, I phoned up the DNO and the cable has now been checked. Here is the report:- The cable is perfectly safe despite the two patches /spots where the hessian outer covering is missing. So, no action necessary.

I think I've been lucky. I've made the assumption that services will be laid entirely under the path and I've found that assumption to have been false and could have led to a nasty accident. Lesson learned.

How to learn another lesson:

Get back to the DNO, and ask them if they could have told you where the cable was if you'd asked before you started digging.

Before you back fill the hole put maker tape or other protective means (*) 6 inches ( or one spade depth ) above the cable

(*) tiles or other objects to hinder the cutting edge of the spade.

Before you back fill the hole put maker tape or other protective means (*) 6 inches ( or one spade depth ) above the cable
I would personally suggest "and", rather than "or". Also, of course, make a careful note (i.e. 'a plan') of where this bit of cable was found, and keep it "in a safe place" (I know!!).

Kind Regards, John

How to learn another lesson:

Get back to the DNO, and ask them if they could have told you where the cable was if you'd asked before you started digging.
In our case a chap came out with a cat generator and detector and waved it around over the drive, so now I know where the electric is. But that was when they thought they might need to replace the supply cable, actually they decided there was no need, the cutout only needed replacing. I wonder if they would charge to do it preemptively?

How do I find out where underground electricity cables are?
We can send you information about the locations of our underground electricity cables to keep you safe whilst digging.

To get a map of your area:

• Email [email protected]
  • Call us on 0800 056 5866 (08.30-12.30 and 13.30-16.30 Monday to Friday).
  • Write to us at Plan Provision team, UK Power Networks, Fore Hamlet, Ipswich IP3 8AA.
For advice about working safely near cables download our safety leaflet.

< Back
Has this answered your question?
Yes No

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back