The Mains Supply Cable - has been uncovered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In digging up my garden (to de-crud it) I made the assumption that both the exterior gas service pipe and the exterior mains supply cable run under the path leading to the house. The gas supply pipe does appear to be laid under the path, but I've had a bit of a shock discovering that the mains supply cable comes in from the side (from next door's garden) then along the path for a few feet and into the house. So, I've made an unexpected finding and uncovered a section of the mains supply cable.

The cable was laid about 1958 and looks like it's covered in pitch. I'm a bit concerned that after uncovering the cable some of the pitch might have come off in spots. So, I wonder, can I wrap some suitable tape around this cable (as a sort of precaution) before I cover it again? Thanks. Rich

Sponsored Links
Dont touch it!

To be on the safe side call the DNO and ask them to have it checked.

DS

You do not need tape or anything else.
It's unlikely the cable is damaged.
If it is, then you must contact the DNO immediately and have them repair it. Probably Northern Powergrid if you are in Yorkshire.

If I take a conservative approach and have the DNO come out, that will cost me hundreds of pounds I suppose?

Sponsored Links
I don't think they'll charge to come and give a looksee.
Just tell them you have uncovered it and are not sure if it is ok.
They'll be out fairly quickly.

If I take a conservative approach and have the DNO come out, that will cost me hundreds of pounds I suppose?
You've got no choice, really.

IF you have damaged the cable (were you using one of these:

ns47s46dojhk7o5bawylrs7c7y-vy26canc4m4oceljaf3bhfoz6doe477u-large.jpg

or one of these:

3e13283fa0ddad75930211c8c8c111c2.jpg
?)

then it must be properly repaired.

Pictures? We can probably give an indication if you're in trouble or not.

Okay, this morning I've done a recce, to see what we've got.

As you see I've managed to dislodge some pieces of the outer covering of the cable in two places. Picture 02 shows a general view of the cable, and picture 02 shows a piece of that outer covering.

Please note that there looks to be a cut in the cable, but that is not a cut, it was like that originally. It looks like an indented strip, but whatever it is, it's been like that since the cable was put in.

There is no other physical damage to the cable. The issue is, is the cable vulnerable to moisture ingress due to that chipping seen in the pictures of the outer layer. Looks like maybe I should phone up my service provider, but I'm scared silly of how much it might cost me. Rich

My feeling is that there is some damage, but it's possibly fairly trivial, but having said that the cable could do with some self amalgamating tape wrapped around the damaged point. I'm hoping that is the (limited) extent to which the DNO might address the issue.

Attachments

• Mains Supply Cable 01.JPG
    Mains Supply Cable 01.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 513
  • Mains Supply Cable 02.JPG
    Mains Supply Cable 02.JPG
    356.1 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
As you see I've managed to dislodge some pieces of the outer covering of the cable in two places. Picture 02 shows a general view of the cable, and picture 02 shows a piece of that outer covering.
You're sure that's your supply cable?

Looks like maybe I should phone up my service provider, but I'm scared silly of how much it might cost me.
If it's your supply cable you simply have no choice.

That cable will be my mains supply cable. Here is a shot of the cable that enters my termination box in the home. It's the same diameter as the cable outside. It's about 1 1/8" diameter

What I'm concerned about is the DNO only doing what is required and not doing work that is unnecessary that costs me an arm and a leg.

It looks like the cable construction is:- an impregnated (cloth?) outer, then a non ferrous tube (looks like with a seam), then wire armoring, then I think another tube, with the conductors inside that.

The first outer metal tube/sheath is not lead. It's harder than lead.

I'd like to know if it is significant that I've two small parts of the cable that are missing that outer layer. Anyone know? Other than that there is no further damage. Thanks.

P.S. If you were in my shoes, what would you expect the DNO to do?

Attachments

• Mains Supply Cable 03.JPG
    Mains Supply Cable 03.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
... What I'm concerned about is the DNO only doing what is required and not doing work that is unnecessary that costs me an arm and a leg. .... I'd like to know if it is significant that I've two small parts of the cable that are missing that outer layer. Anyone know? Other than that there is no further damage. ... P.S. If you were in my shoes, what would you expect the DNO to do?
As I understand it, the supply cable is very much their property, and for them to 'maintain', at there cost - so, if they deem that the condition is such that the cable needs replacing, I think they would do it without charge to you.

I suppose it might be different if they claimed that you had damaged it (e.g. by putting a jack hammer through it!) but, from what you have described and shown, I think that the only damage, if any, is probably that due to the passage of time.

How deep is this cable buried?

Kind Regards, John

Yet more prevarication
DIYalot - it is up to you how much comfort you take from what people here think is, or is not, likely to be the attitude of the DNO.

What is not up to you is whether you contact them or not.

Please stop posting over and over again about your same worries. You have to tell the DNO about the damage. End of.

Cable is buried about 50cm. That outer covering, possibly cloth impregnated with pitch, is pretty fragile. Bit crumbly now.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back