Mains USB socket without electrical socket?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Would you honestly buy that one from amazon? No brand or safety certification marks, nope no thanks!

I'd go with the Kinghtsbridge one, known brand and decent amount of power at 5 amps. The LAP one linked by ericmark is fine too.

i didnt say i would buy it, i just found it when googling and i was surprised at the switch (which i think is a good idea)

Sponsored Links
Since the Knightsbridge one can't be switched off (the MK version one can), would it use much electricity over the year since it's always in "standby" mode. Or would the cost be negligible?
Pretty 'negligible'.

However, it can be argued that leaving any sort of power supply permanently powered could well shorten its lifespan and, at least theoretically, could be said to represent a (tiny) fire risk.

Kind Regards, John

4 socket version

https://www.switch-lighting.co.uk/k...-white-1-gang-quad-usb-charger-sfquadmw_13366

Lidl did a three way version sometime ago, i bought one and never fitted it. If i can find it i will put up some pics

I also came across this with switch for the usb sockets no less

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fdit-Mount...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Q0RQB0379JBC4YAC0FC8

found the one I got ages ago from lidl, must get round to fitting it!!

20190826_173057.jpg
20190826_173114.jpg

could be said to represent a (tiny) fire risk.

Most Fire Brigades advise that appliances should be switched OFF and not left on Stand By as there is a risk of fire when the device fails. Lack of ventilation for cooling increases the riskk of failure.

Having a Switch Mode Power Supply module installed in way that prevents it being turned OFF ( other than at the Consumer Unit ) does not seem sensible to me.

Most Fire Brigades advise that appliances should be switched OFF and not left on Stand By as there is a risk of fire when the device fails.
They would. They'd probably also like to advise that all appliances should be enclosed in 'non-combustible' enclosures when they are on!
Having a Switch Mode Power Supply module installed in way that prevents it being turned OFF ( other than at the Consumer Unit ) does not seem sensible to me.
For those who are concerned about exceedingly small risks, it probably is not 'sensible'.

My (electronic, but 'dumb') electricity meter must contain some sort of PSU (to power its electronics) (I suspect SM) and I can't turn that OFF, even at the consumer unit - and I imagine tat the same it true of yours.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the photo, links and info.

I was thinking of installing one on each side of a double bed. The MK socket switches off when the cables are removed, and there there may be some slight safety improvement in this; however, it has just the two USB outlets (not 3 or 4 as per Knightsbridge and others).

Presumably 2 USB outlets per socket is fine for most people i.e. charging a mobile - I'm not sure how many other devices people are charging via a USB socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back