Mains voltage in bathroom (Zone 1)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to get thoughts on using mains powered downlights in a bathroom (Zone 1). I'm looking at these...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/robus-fix...bathroom-downlight-polished-chrome-240v/22455

These are rated for zone 1 so should be ok but I know a lot of people prefer low voltage in bathrooms.
I don't want to go for LV as these lights will be tiled in so getting in behind to replace the transformer (if it dies) would be a really difficult.

Cheers,
Mike

Sponsored Links
It's a DOWN lighter... Why is it being tiled in?

Even if tiles were fixed around it, you should still have access to the void behind the unit.

Sponsored Links
It's a downlighter for an alcove in the wall. The bit above the alcove it will be fully tiled to the ceiling. There will be no access behind it unless I add a hatch, which I want to avoid.

But there will be access if you drop down the fitting?

It's a downlighter for an alcove in the wall. The bit above the alcove it will be fully tiled to the ceiling. There will be no access behind it unless I add a hatch, which I want to avoid.

But there will be access if you drop down the fitting?

Ah right. So the transformers are small enough that you can get them out through the fitting? I'd assumed it would be too big

Nope, they're small enough to slot through the hole along with junction boxes.

RCD protection for the lighting ring, yes. Notification ..... erm, yes.
Not wise to hesitate on this forum!
Very unwise! They usually say that 'he who hesitates is lost'. In this context, however, there is a serious risk that he who hesitates will be found - by the eyes of the ever-present overseer :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back