mains water pipe in plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to know if internally a mains water pipe can be taken above ground to the comi boiler and serve the sink. The run would consist of some elbow joints and the total run of pipe is around 14 meters to the boiler.

I need to know if theres any disadvantages of having a mains water above ground as appose to below ground.

In a nut shell i need to know what options i have if my pipe ever went bust.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Inside the home. below ground outside and once inside then above ground.

Im worried that rats mite chew through and cant face the idea of having to rip the floor out again to replace.

ummm if youve got rats in ya home i would be worrying about the rats first not the pipe !!! and if the can chew through poly pipe which is what im presuming your using then they must be as big as cats !!!! but the choice is yours , under floor is out of sight out of mind but if you do get a leak later on then the flooring will have to come up , if its above floor level then id suggest a shut off valve as it comes into the property that you can get to.... because if the rats did chew it you could shut it off asap and work on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOHHHHHHHH RATS UNDER GROUND !!!!!! RIGHT !!! ive never come across it myself in 12 years in the industry !! so if thats all your worried about then id put it under ground (floor boards) use a tough poly pipe

Sponsored Links
Thankyou. would having the mains water above ground internally come with any disadvatages, i.e low water pressure etc.

The run would have some corners so a few elbows would be used.

And regarding the floor, i've i went with underground then pipe would be partially through suspended floor and partially through concreted floor.

obviously the less fittings the better but you shouldnt need any outside in the ground except where youve connected up to and in your home less is more but it wont restrict it to much, alot depends on you mains pressure in the street !!

Thankyou so much for you fast responses. im very scared of the thought of ever having to replace the pipe below ground.

Im in a low paying job and wont definatley wont be able to afford a a major operation where the floor has to be ripped up to relay the pipe in a event of failure. hence the reason im enquiring about a back up plan.

so basiaclly i can run the mains water pipe above ground to the boiler with out and hindrence?

and can you shed some light on above ground central heating? does this work as well as below ground?
some people have told me gas line can not have a elbows as this restricts the gas pressure, is this correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back