Mains Water Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just moved into a new house which is only 18 months old. However, compared to the house we have just left the water pressure seems very low.

The water pressure seems low from the main taps (in our old house the water gushed out). Is there anything we can do about this? Why should the mains water pressure be any different in this new house and can we ask the Water Board to improve it?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
First thing is check that both the ouside and inside stopcocks are fully open. Close them first and then fully open them.
Ask you neighbours what their pressure is like? Maybe its low on the whole development...

Also make sure the mains stopcock is fitted the right way round (small arrow pointing to the flow on the stopcock)

Sponsored Links
Call your water booard and ask what your pressure is likely to be. In some areas it's 8 bar, others about 1 bar.

Thanks for all your responses. Unfortunately nothing has worked so it looks like we will have to get a pump fitted so we can have a decent shower.

We have large tank upstairs and a small cold water tank in the loft - I think this is called a gravity system.

We will need to get a plumber out to buy/fit the pump - any recommendations on what he should get and what it should cost to fit?

Thanks again.

Kirsti

"box on the wall" combined pump with mixers are quite good value, and often cheaper to retro-fit than a pump and thermostatic mixer. They go from about £120 for a Newteam to £3xx for an Aqualisa Aquastream. The Aqualisa Quartz nb 2 different models is expensive but highly recommended. Mira's are fine, in the middle pricewise.

If you have a mixer fitted, then putting a pump in can be easier. Decent pumps are towards £200. Avoid the cheap noisy cr*p. Remember that you may empty your HW cylinder rather faster than you thought!

Fitting cost - depends where you live and whom you ask. SOme will suck teeth and say £700, others will say its a day's work so £120 + parts. I'd be in the middle somewhere, this time of year.

I hope you have a LARGE tank in the loft, not as you say justa small one, which may just be for the heating.

Chris,

We do have a mixer and the tank in the loft is small (I checked last night). The tank in the airing cupboard is large (sorry can't be more technical!).

Is this going to cause us a problem?

Kirsti

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back