Very low water pressure at all taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I have just moved into a terraced house and have an issue with low water pressure.
Water suppliers have checked the supply pipe/stopcock and its fine/fully open.

At all taps the water pressure is extremely low (doesn't even register on water authorities flow/pressure meter)
Literally takes a minute to fill a litre jug.

Is there anyway this can be improved?
The system is standard (old style) boiler/cold tank/hot cylinder. I'm no plumber but it seems to me that the entire house cold water is being fed from a gravity water tank, nothing is mains fed bar the storage tank. Is this OK/acceptable? The washing machine also does not work, flashes up a "low feed pressure error code"

Any replies are appreciated because in my opinion this is unacceptable.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Surely the cold at kitchen sink is from the main.

Believe it or not no it isn't.
If I turn the valves off that come from the storage tank it stops everything from the taps, even the kitchen!

Get a plumber in to fit a new connection before the storage tank and that should fix your problem.

Sponsored Links
You must have the kitchen sink as mains otherwise this means you have no potable water, in other words you dont have safe drinking water.

Its a rented house, so looks like I'm on to the landlord.

The kitchen sink is the last tap on the supply from storage tank as well, so it gets the least flow from tank too!

The storage tank does look to be a sealed plastic type, if that makes the situation any better?

Under WRAS, they do classify a correctly designed, clean, insulated and properly sealed cold water storage cistern as being able to deliver wholesome water (CAT1) as long as the supply doesn't rise above 20 Deg so it's not against the regs and if all these are met then it's ok to drink but everyone really should have at least one tap running off the mains supply pipe prior to it feeding anything else in the house.
Certainly time to get the landlord though to get it all sorted re the pressure for the washing machine etc and get the tank checked to make sure it's clean and sealed correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back