Mains water pulsing during the night!

Sponsored Links
Could be a float valve in a toilet cistern.
This had crossed my mind. The toilet in our en-suite has whistled every now and then. Tonight I will run the tap before flushing the toilet but what about the tapping during the day.

Could this still be caused by a float valve?

Richard

Dead legs on pipework can cause this if it was a combi conversion
Not aware of any dead legs in the pipework and the current combi has been in place for almost 10 years. And as I said there has been no work carried out on the plumbing recently apart from a new pressure vessel in the combi boiler a month ago.

Richard

Sponsored Links
Could this still be caused by a float valve?
Yes. especially when the valve washer is being to wear. When the main's pressure increases some water get past the washer and continues until the water hs lifted the float high enough that the pressure exerted on the washer by the float ( via the lever in the valve ) is enough to stop the water. Sometimes this starts the float to bounce slightly and while bouncing the valve with the worn washer can let through short "squirts" of water in time with the bounce of the float and this prolongs the duration of bouncing

I think I will change the float valve before calling the Water Board again, however, I heard the tapping sound down in our kitchen last night about 10.30pm and was able to run the sink tap slowly enough not to drown out the sound and I could just see it pulsing. Checked upstairs and no one had flushed any of the toilets.

Would you expect this if it were a leaky float valve?

Richard

Water Pressure fluctuates day and night, more water is used during the day so the flow is constant, night time water pressure increases ( same with Electricity, dunno about Gas)

What pressure can electricity get up to BW? :p

Gas mains pressures can fluctuate but at a property you will normally find it steady due to the regulator before the meter.

Water can have a massive difference in pressure due to usage at peak times depending upon the network.

As to the sound then not a clue being remote. As said you should start by isolating mains for the day/night and narrow it down from there. Water can be stored or bought the day before to get you by for 1 day.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back