Shower pump 'pulsing'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've been in this house about 6 months and never had a problem with the shower. However last month we needed the hot water cylinder heating element replaced.

Since then, our shower pump is 'pulsing', but only on the odd occasion. You can hear it from the pump too, and it's quite a quick pulse, kind of like a heartbeat. I don't know how else to describe it. The flow from the shower head visibly reduces then increases in pressure.

It happened the first time after the heating element repair so I assumed it might be air. And after that it was fine for a few weeks. But it's happened a handful of times since but the shower is used everyday so I don't know why it's so intermittent.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
usually caused by pockets of air, your pump should have a designated connection at the HW Cylinder, has this possibly been disturbed when the Element was changed ?

Cold water storage tank full of water each time? Float valve failed?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I will look into all the suggestions. It's very sporadic. Can be fine for a week or more and then it will happen again. Turning the shower off and on a few times can help it.

Also, on the very odd occasion the shower pump has been kicking in when the shower isn't on. Last did it in the middle of the night and I couldn't work out what the noise was at first. Are the two related do you think?

Thanks for the replies. I will look into all the suggestions. It's very sporadic. Can be fine for a week or more and then it will happen again. Turning the shower off and on a few times can help it.

Also, on the very odd occasion the shower pump has been kicking in when the shower isn't on. Last did it in the middle of the night and I couldn't work out what the noise was at first. Are the two related do you think?
Yes most probably related

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back