Shower Pump pulsing during operation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved house and the power shower pump when operated pulses ~ you can hear the pumps power going on and off ~ this occurs initially at the start of a shower for approx a minute then the pump stops working and it is only the water pressure that drives the shower. If the shower head is lowered during operation the the above repeates itself
I have replaced the shower head twice ~ one with a higher flow/distribution rate and the second a small head to reduce the delivered volume ~ neither worked.
Can anybody advise if the unit should be replaced or is there another reason for this problem?

Sponsored Links
It usually means that it has not been bled properly. If it's not this, then it's probably a duff pump.

P.S. I think the shower manufacturers call it 'hunting' for some reason best known to them.

Sounds like a fault with the flow switch. Or it could be the shower hose causing the problem, if the lining is disintegrating and causing fluctuating resistance. Worth changing the hose to see.

Sponsored Links
I also pinged the question to the manufacturers ~ this is their response recieved today.

It sounds as if the pump motor is jamming or possibly a float switch problem, If it is a motor fault the problem is terminal & the pump will need replacing, the best way to check the float switch is to move a household magnet on the connection next to the electrical box just below the pump hose connection, this will lift the float switch up & down & should make the motor start & stop, this will need to be done on both sides,by doing this a few times it should make sure there is no build up of debris on the switches. If the problem still persists as we no longer do any spares for this model pump it will need to be changed.

Thanks for the responses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back