mainswater supply - stopcock tap seized

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
BIG PROBLEM- I need to turn off the water supply at the mains supply which is about 20 inches down a narrow 6 inch sq brick shaft in the pavement. The tap is like the type you see in a cylinder cupboard ,usually red ,about 45 mm dia with slots in it. the tap has a square hole which fits over a shaft with a nut holding the this on.
It appears to be seized and i can't get a spanner or wrench onto it because of lack of space.
The only thing i can think of is a device which fits into the tap slots then extends on a rod up past the pavement level- with a tee handle on the end to enable you to turn the tap off by applying strong clockwise movement using the tee handle.
The water is still coming out of a lead pipe 3m from the pavement on a the site of a demolished property which has so much pressure it keeps opening up. United utilities refuse to help. ANY IDEAS ?

Sponsored Links
All you need is a stopcock key.
Or you can often use a socket set with extensions.

It lools like this

What you are describing is a gate valve, which is unusual under a pavement. As you will see, some stopcock keys fit them.
If you have 3 metres, close the lead pipe by squashing it, freeze further back and fit a new stopcock.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back