I broke my Stopcock tap off...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have idiotically used a spanner to turn the stopcock tap on my cold water supply in my flat clockwise. The tap (brass) turned a little and then broke off. Is there any way i can fit a new tap to the existing fitting?
I think i will probably have to replace the joint. I have never done this before and my main issue is: If i cut the pipe above and below the stopcock i am left with a 4 inch approx gap between the pipes once the stopcock is removed. How do i fit a new tap of similar size into this gap?
Also if i need to solder a tee into any copper pipe run how do i do this in terms of getting it on to both ends of the cut pipe?
Any help much appreciated! I am keen to tackle this myself but will of course resort to professional help if i really need to!

Jack

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Anyone got any helpful suggestions? the other stopcock on the supply to hot water tank is totally jammed as well and wd40 doesn't seem to be helping...

if you can find a new stopcock exactly the same as the old one, you will find that the innards are screwed into a brass casting, and by undoing a nut you can take out the old insides and put the new ones in. It is of course essential to isolate the water supply elsewhere, such as in garden or under the pavement, or a lot of water will squirt out when you dismantle the old one.

I would also practice dismantling and assembling the new valve on the kitchen table beforehand so you are familiar with how to do it. If you take the old one apart and can't finish the job you will be in trouble.

Otherwise, start asking around for a recommended local plumber.

Sponsored Links
if ya come on here regular you'll find dangermouse is as about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard! any chance of a picture? mite be able to fit another stopcock close by or even repair the old one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back