Make bathroom fan switch independent of light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
New to the forum (and electrics behind the surface) so please be gentle. Ive just installed a new switch into an outbuilding adjacent to my indoor bathroom and I'm using the feed from the bathroom fan for the socket (fan vents directly into the roof of the outbuilding so was the easiest way of getting a feed in). I wired up the socket to test and all works fine. The obstacle I have now is that as I've fed from the fan the socket only works when the fan isolator AND the bathroom light are on.

Is there any way I can wire the socket up so it only relies on the fan isolator switch I.e. make the fan isolator independent from the light switch? The fan will be permanently disconnected as we hardly use the downstairs bathroom so the light switch only needs to control the light and the fan isolator only needs to control the outbuilding switch.

Feel free to let me know if I've made any mistakes.

Sponsored Links
A fan venting into any roof space is a no-no.
The fan will probably be fed off a lighting circuit so isn't a good idea to put sockets on it either. You need an eleccy to put a proper supply in for your outbuilding.

You have installed a new light switch of a new socket outlet?
Did you use the permitted safe zones for cables, if buried?
Is the circuit RCD protected?
The fan vents in to the roof of the outbuilding????
Feel free to let me know if I've made any mistakes.
Now that could be a can of worms.
*firstly as as I am not sure the method of routing and possible non-conformities that you have introduced, I will have hold back until more info is offered!
*You should have taken live, neutral and earth/CPC from a permanent supply not a switched one.
*You should have done a little research and learned and understood the fundamental principles behind what you were doing.
*Dare I ask if any testing was done?

Sponsored Links
You have installed a new light switch of a new socket outlet?
Did you use the permitted safe zones for cables, if buried?
Is the circuit RCD protected?
The fan vents in to the roof of the outbuilding????

Other way around (new socket off light switch via fan isolator)

Cable goes through the vent and down through the ceiling of the outbuilding.

The vent to the roof space has always been like that, new build house 2008. The outbuilding is only a little bin shed, roughly 1m square.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back