Make bells flash again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a set of rope light christmas bells. The unit that made them flash gave up the ghost. I've cut it out and I know lights still work. They cost me around 60quid a few years ago so trying to salvage them.

There is a left bell and right bell and they flash left right left right and so on.

These bells have 3 cords brown blue and black.

Manually connecting brown and black together with blue on its own lights one side. Manually connecting black and blue together with brown on its own lights the other side. I guess I need some sort of switch or relay that moves the black wire from brown to blue and back repeatedly.

What do I need to buy please? These lights are 240v

Sponsored Links
A symetrical recycling timer. Some recycling timers have changeover contacts, one for each bell.m if the timer only has a single output, a relay with changeover contacts would be required, the relay switched by the timer.

Quick google found this, with CO contacts. Needs placing in an enclosure.

http://www.charter-controls.com/pro...al-recycling-flip-flop-timer-230vac-spco/486/

I'm sure you can find cheaper ones.

A symetrical recycling timer. Some recycling timers have changeover contacts, one for each bell.m if the timer only has a single output, a relay with changeover contacts would be required, the relay switched by the timer.

Quick google found this, with CO contacts. Needs placing in an enclosure.

http://www.charter-controls.com/pro...al-recycling-flip-flop-timer-230vac-spco/486/

I'm sure you can find cheaper ones.

A solid state one with a triac output would be better from a mains interference point of view.

Sponsored Links
Very true. Would last longer too. The one I linked to dud say suitable for flashing lights, but guess it has so suppression built in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back