I need to confirm what I am going to do will work

OK
I have been and tried to effect the changes as described above by Har_vey but having taken the fitting down I realise that I have been wasting a lot of time because I reported to you the wrong colours of the wires I have - at this point I feel particularly stupid ! - big time

what I actually have coming out the ceiling is 2 cables one contains a red, black and an unsheathed copper wire - the other has red, & BLUE not black as I have previously reported ( I swear its changed overnight) and a yellow
I have the unsheathed and yellow together as earths - have tried to put the black to blue and red of other to brown - and tried it with blue and other red as described but neither of those allows either the wall light or ceiling light to work.

Pete

Pete
:oops:

Sponsored Links
The switch is definitely as I stated
Red White and Blue - i just took the cover off again to confirm

red to C white to L1 one side - blue to L1 the other side and the red looped to the other C

The cable does not look "old" its sheathed in grey casing that is flat (ie the 3 wires inside in a line)...as opposed to round as old cables tend to be?.... and the wires are not taped or sheathed - it looks like that is the colours that the cable came as.

Pete

ok. It looks like, as crafty said, the earth is being used as a switch wire.

You need to get someone in.

Sponsored Links
I agree - I will get someone in to take a look
any idea how much this kind of thing would cost?
presumeably ( in the way I thought it would be a 2 minute job for me!!)
its a straigtforward job for someone who knows what they are doing
AND HAS THE RIGHT "BASIC" EQUIPMENT?

actually I think I have home electrics cover with British Gas...yeah that sounds right get the GAS man in lol I wonder if that covers "Cock ups by customers"?

Thanks again to all the contributers

Pete[/i]

cost? depends on what needs to be done.

Let us know what is said though? That'll be interesting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back