make heat resistant and waterproof an interior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We're preparing a wall for a wood burning stove.

We've been told that plaster is combustable so we have to take the wall back to brick.

We've found the lower bricks are damp (where the plaster seemed to have been thicker and somehow harder). There's no obvious source of damp. It *should* be an internal wall/wall to next door but it's an old house so nothing is simple!

We're thinking of using high alumina cement to re-"plaster" the wall. Can we add any waterproofer to it? Is there a non-flammable waterproofer suitable for use next to a stove?

Thank in advance

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/decora...n-interior-wall.297236/#2165717#ixzz1cFwiWzkA

Sponsored Links
Hi

We've been told that plaster is combustable so we have to take the wall back to brick.

We've found the lower bricks are damp (where the plaster seemed to have been thicker and somehow harder). There's no obvious source of damp. It *should* be an internal wall/wall to next door but it's an old house so nothing is simple!

We're thinking of using high alumina cement to re-"plaster" the wall. Can we add any waterproofer to it? Is there a non-flammable waterproofer suitable for use next to a stove?

Thank in advance

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/decora...or-wall.297236/#2165717#ixzz1cFwiWzkA[/QUOTE]

How old is the property? What sort of construction ie: brick or stone and what sort of hearth base do you have?

What sort of plaster "backing coat, float coat) is on already, is it pinkish..?

Best guess is property is about 100 years old.

It's a brick wall - it's a bit sloppy though with odd shaped bricks.

the plaster we have removed was a pink/grey colour.

hearth is solid concrete on top of a concrete floor.

Best guess is property is about 100 years old.

It's a brick wall - it's a bit sloppy though with odd shaped bricks.

the plaster we have removed was a pink/grey colour.

hearth is solid concrete on top of a concrete floor.

The "damp" spot is down to the gypsum based backing plaster.

Knock it all off and replaster with a lime based mix.

I have noticed on many DIY forums that this problem comes up often and if we had more plasterers around that knew what they were doing instead of just been able to lay on then we wouldnt have these problem with appling plasters in the wrong situation.

Sponsored Links

Can we add any waterproofer to it? Is there a non-flammable waterproofer suitable for use next to a stove?

I'm not sure this information you've been provided is correct.
Plaster on a wall is not combustable. Gypsum plaster doesn't like heat and with temperatures over 49degs can/will crack. I don't think combustion is a problem though.
(aside - I thought plaster was actually quite tolerant in the event of a fire where the outer skin undergoes a reaction which actually helps it resist longer).

I would also think that waterproofer once diluted and in a mix (even if flammable neat) would not be concentrated enough to present a problem.

This is a duplicate post; FFS all you had to do was ask for it to be moved, obviously not satisfied with the answers I was giving;

//www.diynot.com/forums/decora...n-interior-wall.297236/#2165717#ixzz1cFwiWzkA

**** knows why but the OP has now double posted; p****d off now & I’m out :rolleyes:
What a welcome!
Richard - I am very greatful for your answers. For some reason I accidently posted it in the painting and decorating forum. Realising my mistake once "Dec" had pointed it out I posted here. Being new to the forum I have no idea how active the moderators are for moving things. If you check the dates/times you will see (as far as I can remember) I did not post a duplicate as a response to your answers, Richard.

Thanks to all the others who have posted here. I'm new to the forum and it looks to be a great place!

For the fireproofing, I'm looking at getting the Vitcas fire proof cement - my problem now is finding somewhere that stocks it locally.

Thanks

Mod 3 - your other thread is here, have locked it to stop the confusing ;)

//www.diynot.com/forums/decorating/heat-resistant-and-waterproof-an-interior-wall.297236/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back