make my own windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
next year i am building my own half brick / half wooden front porch. i would like to make my own window frame but can't find any plans. doesn't matter what size as it can be scaled up/ down. just a simply frame would do for now. soft or hardwood. any one know of any books or web sites.
thanks
willowman

Sponsored Links
Look on Amazon for books, and read the reviews. There are a few site carpentry and joinery books that are good all rounders, Peter Brett has done a few, there are others but the authors names escapes me.

Sponsored Links
Don't over-complicate this, mate. A window frame can be made the same way as any other frame - 2 or more uprights (stiles or jambs) and 2 or more horizontals (rails) joined with good old-fashioned mortise and tenon joints (mortises on the uprights).

The sill can either be the bottom rail or a seperate member on which the new frame will sit. Make the sill width whatever your new walls require, with an external overhang a good 40 - 50 mm, and a groove routed 10 - 15 mm from the outside edge on the underside of the sill (to keep rainwater away from the masonry). Your sill should also have a shallow slope away from the frame (easily formed with a bench plane - 10" or longer - or even more easily on a table saw if you have one).

Any additional structure within the frame (such as the stop for the 'light' to butt up to when closed) can be made by machining rebates in the frame members before assembly, or by fixing additional pieces to the assembled frame (this is the easiest option as it won't complicate the frame joints that you will have to cut). The lights can be made just as simply as the frames.

Hope this helps. If there's any advice I can give, just ask (I'm a cabinet/furniture-maker by occupation).

Having said all this, just google DIY window-frames! You're bound to find something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back