makeshift heath robinson pipe joining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recenty moved into a house, which only had a washing machine plumbed in. The grey waste pipe from the washing machine literally just sits in a 1 1/2" stand pipe.

The problem is I want to have a dishwasher going into the same stand pipe but it's really difficult to get access to it.. ie behind cupboard space, not under the sink.

I have bought a 1 1/2" double nozzle trap to dual appliance converter but need to join it to the existing 1 1/2 stand pipe. My question is - would it be safe enough to cut a couple of inches down the trap to appliance converter in order to reduce its diameter and just wedge it into the stand pipe? In theory I know I can get the two pipes together snuggly but will this join be prone to leakage?

Thanks,

Calamity Sam

Sponsored Links
I would buy another w/m stand pipe and then connect both into 2" waste, otherwise I dont know if the exiting waste would cope with both on and draining together.

gas4you said:
I would buy another w/m stand pipe and then connect both into 2" waste, otherwise I dont know if the exiting waste would cope with both on and draining together.

thanks but...

unfortunately I would have to pull my kitchen surfaces and cupboards apart to get in and replace the stand pipe. The current access is a hole in the wood that surrounds all the plumbing.

You can get a double drain trap that fits under your sink on the waste outlet, but again I wouldn't use both appliances together.

Sponsored Links
The traps with spigotty tubes aren't for stand pipes.
Can you get your new hose to the sink waste, which is where they're supposed to go?

You could try stuffing both hoses into the top of your stand pipe, I've seen it work and I've seen it flood! Depends on your downstream plummin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back