Making a box to hide pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

I live in a Victorian terrace with a very (about 6' by 6') bathroom. Making matters worse is the fact that all the pipes in there - to the basin and toilet, and from basin and toilet to outside, are inside the bathroom, i.e. no inside the internal walls.

This obviously doesn't look great.

I've seen other people's houses where soil pipes etc are enclosed in boxes which are then tiled over.

My question is - what are these boxes made from? Simple plywood which has then been tiled over, or plasterboard?

If anyone has any experience with this I'd be really grateful.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
both basically,you can use either,if your going to use ply then make sure its at least wpb rated.or spend lots and go for marine ply.
others will recommend tile backer boards.plenty of info on here and the interweb about it.

Nice one, cheers guys. Thanks for the link also.

Re tile backer boards - that sounds like the ticket, especially as I'm likely to have hardiboard left over from doing the floor.

Can someone suggest how you would join two pieces of hardiboard together to form a right angle, though? It looks too thin to just screw together.

Ta :)

Sponsored Links
Pin/glue/screw a strip of wood to the inside of one piece of hardboard, then fix the other piece of hardboard to it.
I would use ply, but I am only a DIYer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back