Making a concrete floor for a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I want to put some machinery inside a 12' x 10' wooden or metal shed.

It's best I think to mount the machinery on a concrete floor rather than a wooden floor. Because I want to sound-proof the shed to minimise noise, and that's not really going to be possible if the machinery is standing on the wooden floor of a shed, because vibration is simply going to transmit from the wooden floor to the shed walls.

So, does anyone know how I should construct a concrete base say 13' x 11'? One that is level with the ground - NOT proud.

I know I'd create a wooden border and fill it with concrete. But, how thick should the concrete be? And should I use rebar? Your help appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. It's not a base for a shed as such I'm wanting. but a floor. Also, how do I achieve a dry floor?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not very heavy then.

For a light workshop base I would dig down enough to put a 150mm layer of compacted hardcore (MOT Type 2), then a 25mm blinding layer of sand, followed by a 1000 polythene DPM sheet, then at least 50mm of insulation. If you top that with 100mm of concrete it should give you a firm base for your man cave.

Sponsored Links
Not very heavy then.

For a light workshop base I would dig down enough to put a 150mm layer of compacted hardcore (MOT Type 2), then a 25mm blinding layer of sand, followed by a 1000 polythene DPM sheet, then at least 50mm of insulation. If you top that with 100mm of concrete it should give you a firm base for your man cave.

Thanks. Indeed, in the scheme of things a light weight item for the floor to handle.

I think I get what all the items are, exept the insulation. What is the 50mm of insulation?

For insulation you could use straight polystyrene sheet or (if budget allows) any foil backed PU board.

I would concentrate more on insulation to make the workshop a pleasant environment, the soundproofing aspect will be a by-product of this.

I'm assuming the polythene sheet is to maintain a dry floor, and the insulation is to avoid a cold floor.

If you ever get to stand on that floor for longer than 30mins & it's -3deg outside then you'll thank me.

The use of a DPM to prevent rising damp is subjective & beyond the realm of this forum. I'm in the rising damp is a myth camp.

I've been thinking. I reckon instead of a concrete topping, I could use regular paving 50mm flags and I'd be okay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back