Making a ginger staircase "old" again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a horrible 1970's ginger pine staircase (the type with square newels, open risers, and horizontal planks all the way to the top instead of upright ballusters) and I would like to make it look like a Victorian style stair case.

I've seen parts in B&Q and elsewhere but I have one question. The stairs are straight up so not very complex (eg: no turns), but the newel post at the bottom is off to the left hand side of the outer string - instead of in line with it. I'd want the new newel to go over the outer string - to be in line with it. How do you do that? Do you just cut a big old slit to fit the string into/over the newel and peg it? Is this a job for a joiner or could a competent DIYer complete the job (they sell the bits in B&Q after all!)

If anybody has any advice on converting 70's staircases any advice would be very gratefully received.

Almor

Sponsored Links
I paid a joiner as you struggle to get the ridgity on the newell posts - even the pros do ... unless you completely swap the newell post - i.e. alter the physical construction and support of the stairs.

The joiner simply chopped the existing newell as low as possible, drilled large diameter hole (looked a bit bigger than a broom handle) then inserted peg from new newell post (upper section) into it and made sure it was well glued.

I know the geezer that did it for me is renowned locally as a very good craftsman and he did a good job - however using this method still leaves some slight movement over a single piece original newell so if you did it yourself then you'd probably end up with even more movement without teh benfit of experience.

If money and taking the floor up and extra mess is no problem I'd be tempted to change the whole newell.

As for the offset string - depends how far it is offset - ours was only an inch and a half left of the string so I just offset the rail against the newell to the right of the section ... it looks fine as long as it doesn't go beyond the edge of the newell ... I was worried when confronted with the same problem.
However, if the you've got a large offset then you may need a rail with a 90 deg turn??? I know the geezer who did my newells manufactures these in his shop so I'm sure if you can't buy to fit off the shelf you'll be able to get one made if that's what you need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back