Making a Heatline Capriz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My daughter has just had a Heatline Capriz Combi Boiler fitted but the only controls are on the boiler (basically on or off with a very basic clock).
Is there a generic wireless controller and receiver I could fit to this with average knowledge?

Sponsored Links
That is about the cheapest boiler that anyone can buy!

It will only work well for a while if the system was properly cleaned before installation. Most who buy a cheap boiler get a cheap installer who does not do any cleaning. Has the Benchmark Certificate been completed by the installer?

Any wired or RF programmable room stat can easily be fitted to the boiler.

In fact as a room stat is required by the Building Regulations with any new boiler install, that is another pointer to the installer doing a bum job!

Tony

I think this is officially the cheapest boiler on the market and for good reason. I can get them for £375 with a flue and timeclock. I heard of one instance where the heat exchanger and pump needed replacing. Once labour had been taken into account it was actually cheaper to just swap the boiler. At least that meant a new 2 year warranty as well. It's not a boiler I would be in a rush to fit.

Sponsored Links
To be honest if they are fitted to a totally clean system then they are about as reliable as any other boiler. They use most of the same parts as most other boilers.

But then I charge £840 to install them and people don't expect to pay twice as much for the installation as the boiler has cost.

But they are perfectly happy with £840 when its £1000 Vaillant.

The reality is that there is exactly the same amount of work in fitting a boiler regardless of the make!

Tony

Indeed Agile, yet punters wouldn't expect to have their walls and ceilings skimmed for half the price of a bag of plaster.

Heatline Capriz = Glow worm Betacom C
Heatline Capriz plus =Glow Worm Betacom 2
Apart from the front casing and control panel

Look on document page [not pdf page] 4 Capriz and Betacom
You are looking at the same hydraulic schematic!

To answer the question I suggest THIS Although the programming is IMO a bit overengineered, they work and do a great job for little money.

Live and neutral to power the clock on 1 and 2 then the other two wires are for switching.

The existing timer as a genuine heatline part cost over £110 to replace last time I inquired so you could possibly put the old clock on ebay and get your money back.

Early Salus stuff wasn't so reliable but they got their act together and the new stuff works great so long as you change the batteries now and then.

The batteries are important on wireless stats because they have to provide a burst of transmit power.

Only good quality alkaline batteries should be used for them, like Duracell.

Cheap zinc carbon batteries from the 99p shop should never be used.

Duracell AA batteries are about £1 each. How can anyone imagine that cheap ones at 8p each can ever be as good! Even then there is the question of leakage too!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back