making a kitchen bench - advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for advice and tips!

I want to make a bench that will fit into a corner of our kitchen.

I have some tongued and grooved oak flooring to use as the seat and back rest and I want to use 25mm ply to cut out the bench ends/side pieces. I'll use similar pieces to support the underneath of the bench where the two seats meet in the corner of the room. I intend to build shallow storage under the seats. The tongue and grooved oak will run vertically rather than horizontally.

Hope the above is clear ...

Will the 25mm ply be strong enough to use as side pieces? (I want to jigsaw out a curvy shape for the side pieces - rather like the sides of a metal garden bench).

Any advice on how best to join/fix these two different types of wood together would be great. Should i use oak for any constructional work or can I use pine?

thanks for any advice and thoughts/comments

Sponsored Links
thanks bilioustrumpstaine - I didn't know that site.

I've got my own design - it's just I'm not confident about the relative merits of using / glueing or dowelling together different types of wood. I'm also not sure that there's enough intrinsic strength in the plywood to support the kind of shape I want to cut out of it .....

; )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back