Making a metal tie bar for roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, I`ve done a search on net but probably because I don`t know the tech. terms I`ve had no luck :cry: What I want to do is make a long tie bar to cross my hipped bungalow roof - and hold the bugger together . Now that I`m having the eaves re underfelted we can see where the plate has been pushed outwards , and why ( extra wooden struts etc. are going to be fitted in the roof ) I envisage a rod of correct size/ type of metal between 2 shackles bolted to the bottom of the rafters - and importantly with a left/right hand threaded tensioner in the centre . A simple concept but I`m blowed if I can find a source or any info . I`ve got a skilled joiner doing the struts and braces ;) Thanks in advance , Nige.

Sponsored Links
I've specified them on a few jobs, mostly porches in the past. However, I've just left that part to the engineer and then a fabricator cracks on with the production. For a conservatory, they'd normally be included as part of the package, so maybe worth giving a company a call?

conservatory_inside.jpg

Not the same but a similar principal.

I think I've got an engineers drawing of one of these somewhere I'll have a gander tonight but as DD says it needs an engineers input really.

If it's under tension, can you not use wire rope and turnbuckles?

Sponsored Links
I've specified them on a few jobs, mostly porches in the past. However, I've just left that part to the engineer and then a fabricator cracks on with the production. For a conservatory, they'd normally be included as part of the package, so maybe worth giving a company a call?

conservatory_inside.jpg

Not the same but a similar principal.

how can you specify and leave it to someone else. either you secify it... or you do not

Nige,
Good job there is a few olduns about to help you young
chappies out.:eek:
Try here http://www.redgwick.co.uk
They do bar up to 6m. turnbuckles and all you will want.
They are up in Staffs, but they do carriage.
Tell them your name is Barry :mrgreen:
By the way, my back door has got a bolt on it and no entry sign. :rolleyes:
Regards ;)
oldun

Thanks guys , Turnbuckles :idea: . Will speak to an engineer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back