Making a new loft hatch access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to move the existing loft hatch which is located in the bathroom to the landing.

I had a look in the loft and the ceiling joists are layed in the right direction to take a larger loft hatch and there is a cross brace on top of the ceiling joists just about where the new opening would start. Probably put in a similar cross brace just beyond where the opening would finish.

However, I've also discovered that the ceilings are made from lath and plaster!!

My original thoughts before visiting the loft when I assumed that it was plasterboard, was to make a frame the correct size, chop out any ceiling joists that were in the way, stringing across some bearers to provide some support for the ends of the joists removed. Drop frame onto the top of the plasterboard then cut out once frame is in place.

But the top surface of the existing lath & plaster is quite uneven to lay new timber on it.

So how easy is lath and plaster to cut and how is it done to ensure that I don't crack the whole ceiling?

Richard

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back