Loft hatch installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a new loft hatch (a completely new job, cutting into the plasterboard ceiling).

However, I've been up into the loft through another access and we have some unusual 'criss-crossing' ceiling joists. Each are 4in x 2in beams and are c.60cm apart, like below:

2016-07-11 12_39_28-Untitled - SketchUp Make 2016.png

Is this likely to be a structure inappropriate for a loft hatch (e.g. I know you aren't supposed to cut certain beams in a roof that are load bearing), or can I insert one using the usual process of adding support timbers before/after cutting to frame the entrance?

Has anyone experience of this type of roofing before? Is it common?

Thanks

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-11_12-39-12.png
    upload_2016-7-11_12-39-12.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
No, it's not a false ceiling. It's an extension on an old part of the building, so maybe that's it?

Alternatively, I am told this could be the result of a previous water tank being in the roof?

Sponsored Links
Or maybe the original rafters are only 100mm deep and a previous owner has then counter battened in order to provide space for a further 100mm of insulation whilst still being able to lay down some useful floor boards. Do the rafters all look the same age, or does one later pre-date the other?

Can you see the feet of the rafters? Which layer is actually structural (sitting on the wall plate, or bedded in to the wall)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back