New Loft Hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Just bought an early 1900’s house and the tiny loft hatch has really bugged me the most, i’d like to get a GL250 hatch and timber for the fitting but noticed what looks like a wooden support beam going right across where the new hatch would be fitted. sadly there isn’t any movement to fit the hatch elsewhere based on its measurements as the landing is rather small and don’t fancy it in the bedrooms.

I’d like to know if it would jeopardise the structure or movement elsewhere if cut.

Attaching pictures for reference of the support (arrow), appreciate the support!

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_9061.jpeg
    IMG_9061.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9062.jpeg
    IMG_9062.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 20
Sponsored Links
Isn't the usual approach to add additional joists so you have a 'frame' in just the right place to attach the trapdoor to, then you can cut away the joist that's in the way.

I was about to do similar in my roof, but realised that the roof was a 'modern' (1990!) engineered truss design, which I understand you are not supposed to meddle with. So I've left it alone - just got an outline where I cut the plasterboard out. Oops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back