New loft hatch needed, can i move binders??? Please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone please help, i've searched the forum and have a clear understanding of my roof structure but need something more specific to my problem. I want to move my loft hatch and plan to fit a ladder, the loft hatch will be just above the top of the stairs, the only problem i have is that a binder (4"x2") runs across the joist exactly where i want the hatch. Would it be possible to fit a new binder say a foot to the side then remove the old one so i can fit my new hatch. Am i correct in saying that the purpose of the binders is to support the joists and stop them sagging, but no real structural properties. I have posted a few diagrams that i have done showing the existing structure and the roof configuration and what i want to do to fit the new hatch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi parmaboy

Did you get any replies to this enquiry? I have a similar problem, except that I wish to replace a complete 8M central loft binder with (I guess) a pair - each one a third of the way in from the side - so that the central area is clear for boarding.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back