Making a small door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have created a small opening under the stairs, it now needs a door; about one metre by one metre.

Will it be okay to sandwich 33mm battens with 3mm ply, using 'no nails' and some small tacs.

Or is there a better way to make a door?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Can you not make a pair of doors from 22 mm MR MDF say 500 x 1000 ? You won’t have to use any soft framing they would just be like kitchen / wardrobe cabinet doors.

Thanks for your advice. The problem is the opening isn't 1000 x 1000, as the hole is under the stairs the corner is sliced off if that makes sense.

I have some 5m MDF spare, will it be okay to cut one side of the door (out of the MDF), glue the battens on and then glue the other side of the door on? - few tacs, undercoat, then gloss - finished door?

I'll never be a cabinet maker but it will do the job - I hope.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

Thanks for your help with this. You can see the only thing that will work is a good old fashioned door. Inside the cupboard on the right hand side is the boiler.

As you can see I've got the frame in okay, I just need to make a door. Will I be okay with; 33mm pine batten with 5mm MDF glued each side?

Thanks again chaps.

I have created a small opening under the stairs, it now needs a door; about one metre by one metre.

First thing I think your estimate of the size of the door was a little out don’t you?

Actual size 670 x 990

That’s why I suggested that a pair of doors may be worth while considering.

I would still make a pair of doors door from 22 MR MDF with no hardwood or softwood framing. I would use concealed hinges as used on fitted kitchens and bedrooms. By using this type of hinge you will have no need to fit any latches or catches.

Don’t forget that you will need plane a good leading edge on the door that as the slant on.

If you want to go down the road to make a flush type door, then I would use 3mm MDF on each side of a softwood framing. But it my personal opinion that you will be making a load of work for your self when there is no need.

Again it’s my personal opinion that if you try bodging a flush / panel door fit would be a complete waist of time and effort.

I will have a go at the double doors, from MDF.

Thank you very much for you help - it is much appreciated.

Carl.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back