Making a square corner from a bullnose corner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have stripped my hallway ready to sort it out, but 3 of the walls have external bullnose corners, merging into a 30cm section of square corner at the top. This obviously presents papering problems, so I would like to square up the corners the full height of the wall.

What's the best way to do this? I've no plastering experience and wouldn't trust that I'd do a good job of it. I've seen corner tape - how is this applied in this situation if possible at all?

Sponsored Links
Unless angle bead is properly plastered in, then it will never look right. Those types of angles are hard and can be difficult but they can be papered. You need to cut a triangle of the paper to go at the top as the bullnose changes to a straight angle and then paper around it. Ready mixed adhesive is better to use in this area.

The galvanised angle bead will require you to skim the walls to feather them out properly.

I am not a plasterer but the paper tape that you are talking about sounds like dry lining tape, which is designed to cover external corner joins in plasterboard.

IMO the bull nose corners are an attractive feature. The semi-recessed ones are normally painted in a colour that is sympathetic to the wallpaper. The paper is then butted up the the start of the "channel".

Standard bull nose. I would run the paper around the corner (lets assume that we are to the left of the corner), fully expecting it to crease. External/internal corners of any type are seldom suitable for running paper around. I then lay another sheet over the top, this time from the other side of the corner. Once the pattern is lined up, I then cut through both bits of paper on the right hand side (just pass the corner), creating a new "butt" line and remove the excess paper from the left hand then remove both bits from the right hand side, ditching the under layer and then rebutting up the new top layer.

The above wont work with papers that are not allowed to get any glue on the surface. In those cases people oven just leave a small overlap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back