Papering arris and bullnose corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm papering the front reception room in our 1912 house and have been presented with a challenge which is new to me. There are two outside corners, which I understand are referred to as arris and bullnose corners, in that each corner has a small arris at the top and the bottom of the wall and is bullnose in between, which results in a widening inwards curve from the arris tip to the bullnose (example pictured below)

The only suggestion that I have seen posted is that the paper should be set up to go all the way around the corner, so that it is sitting square on the top and bottom arris (therefore loose over the bullnose section). Then, using a blade, slice down the middle from arris point to arris point over the bullnose. The rest of the post however less clear but apparently involves overlapping the cut edges over the bullnose section.

I can find no published guidance on how to handle papering these and would appreciate any help.

Thanks

c4b3b185648981d53ad4491ea22d0d4c.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
c4b3b185648981d53ad4491ea22d0d4c.jpg

Apologies for the rough image.

The blue is sheet number one. Wrap it around, cutting horizontally at the edges of each arris.

Then lay the second sheet of paper (red) over the first .

Use a long thin straight edge and cut through both sheets of paper, then remove the excess.

I use 9mm snap off blades, snapping them off as they become blunt. I also use something like this as a straight edge to cut against.

http://www.anza.co.uk/products/tools/filling-knives/wide-filling-knife~p8638

Edit- Sorry the above applies to lining paper. It you are using wallpaper can you post a picture of the paper.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply opps. I'll give that a go one evening this week and will report back. Can't quite get in my head how the blue sheet will go round the arris at the bottom of the corner, but I'm sure that it will make sense when I actually do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back