sticking lifting corners of lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I recently hung lining paper on emulsioned and sized walls. Followed all instructions about mixing paste (Solvite), pasting carefully, soaking the paper, etc. Some, but not all, corners have lifted. A few days after hanging I went round and applied more paste to those corners, allowed to soak and then stuck back down. Some, but not all, of the corners are now stuck firmly. Don't know if it's coincidence, but the two corners which have lifted the most (by a window) are where some caulking has been done.

Should I paste the unstuck ones again? Or would I be better with some other approach e.g. border and overlap adhesive?

For what it's worth, I'll be papering over the top of the lining paper in due course.

Thanks,

wrathkeg

Sponsored Links
There are many things that cause paper not to adhere correctly, but caulk is unlikely to be it assuming you did use decorators caulk and not silicon.

Ultimately what you need to do is stick the paper down; whether you use border adhesive or super glue. Peek behind the lifted corner and make sure the wall is clean and not a gloss finish then use whatever is at hand.

thanks. it was caulk, not silicone. no gloss paint. any thoughts anyone as to whether superglue or border adhesive is more likely to be successful?

thanks. it was caulk, not silicone. no gloss paint. any thoughts anyone as to whether superglue or border adhesive is more likely to be successful?

Why not use a dab of Decorators caulk smeared on the paper, sticks like the Preverbial to a blanket

Sponsored Links
I use PVA for 'stick backs', just be sure to wipe off any excess from the facing paper.

thanks for all the suggestions. will probably give PVA a go, as I have some of that lying around.

I always carry a pot of Copydex in the van, great for small repairs with paper and it's set in about ten minutes.

thanks for the replies, everyone. have used a bit of PVA and everything seems nicely stuck down. great tips.

thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back