Papering up to skirting "inset" into wall- advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I am now starting to work out paper needs for the room I'm decorating. But I'd be interested in advice from you experienced folks. In parts of the room, the original skirting, (Torus profile) seems "set" into the wall. It looks like the old paper was cut to sit along the top of the curved section of skirting board (when you look at it in profile), and the top square bit is hidden. There's a lot of crumbly stuff to rake out and fill at the join between wall and skirting but where should I make the bottom of my paper? Just to complicate matters, there is a new section of skirting along one wall which stands out from the new plaster wall, so I suspect I may have to do it slightly differently around the room.

The plaster is old but generally sound. I've used powder filler on the holes (thousands) and my room looks like a Dalmatien! I'm going to use lining paper then matt emulsion. What grade of lining is best? Wickes have 1700; Dulux Decorating Centre only go up to 1400. Any advice one way or another?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I have used 1400 weight paper throughout my house with very pleasing results. Thick enough to cover minor imperfections and thin enough to remain pliable and workable in use. I had a similar sitiation to you with extensively patched old walls.

My advice would be to get double length rolls of paper and ignore the advice found with much lining paper to leave a small gap between runs. Believe me - paint will never fill this gap. I left no gap and on many walls you cannot see the joins in the paper - looks like a newly plastered wall. I only left gaps on a couple of walls where I then papered over - in this case it is vital.

I use 1400 as standard, if it needs 1700 it needs more prep (and its like cardboard, not so easy to handle)!

You can also get quad rolls of lining paper, if you decide to cross-line (fewer runs, fewer cuts, fewer joins to match up) it makes sense as the long walls will make a mess of the old "four drops a roll" calculation.

Regarding the gap I always butt up, but don't overdo it, its far easier to put a fine run of filler in a gap that won't fill with paint than get rid of an overlap which looks awful - have fun!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back