which lining paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just stripped the walls in my living room of their existing wallpaper with the intention of just painting them. During the stripping process some of the emulsion has also been removed leaving patches flaky paint and bare plaster. The actual plaster look mostly pretty sound although on one of the walls there's a couple of filled cracks. Anyway, I don't think that the the surface is good enough to just paint over so I intend to hand lining paper then emulsion over that. Having read some of the posts on this site regarding lining walls I set off to B&Q this afternoon to get some lining paper. However, B&Q only had 1000 grade and I want to hang something heavier to get the smoothest surface to paint over.

So I did a google search for lining paper and found this site, http://www.transtools.co.uk, with lots of choice. Trouble is that now I have too much choice & dont know which one I should choose. Should I go for:

<ul>
<li>the belgravia 1700 which is £2.51 for 10m</li>
<li>or the mav 2000 which is £8.99 for 20m</li>
<li>or the Wallrock Fibreliner which is £16.99 for 20m</li>
<li>or the Vario Plus which is £28.99 for 25m</li>
</ul>

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these different types of lining paper? What properties make the Vario Plus so expensive?

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers David :confused:

Sponsored Links
Personally I use 1400 as standard, 1700 is like cardboard and can be difficult to hang (don't skimp on the soaking time) - and IMO if the wall is bad enough to need 1700 it needs more prep! Some folk suggest that the heavier lining papers have a slight texture to them - personally I've not noticed.

If you're lining horizontally - fewer (longer) drops, but less cutting, fewer seams, its worth looking for the double or quad rolls otherwise you'll end up with a lot of waste or a lot of splicing in mid-drop.

Shop around a bit, most decorator centres have a range of Lining papers, and unless theres a specific requirement I wouldn't go for anything fancy (pricey!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back