Heat resistant lining paper on cracked plaster chimni breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a hole in the wall gas fire, the wall above gets very hot, this has caused plaster to crack just above the fire. I can't fill the cracks because they close up when the wall is hot, and open up when the wall is cold.
So, I'm thinking of covering the chimnet breast with lining paper (and painting): Erfurt Vario Plus Non Woven Lining Paper.
I was wondering if anybody knew how heat resistant the Vario Plus was or if their was a better alternative lining paper as well as a suitable adhesive? As I want to stop the lining paper from curling or discolouring.

Cheers

Toke

Sponsored Links
Hi
I have exactly the same problem with my wall above the fire. I've had it replastered but it has still cracked again and is as bad as ever. I noticed you got no replies. Did you try the lining paper? Did it work? Have you found a solution?
KP

Ordinary Gypsum plaster should not be used in the area at least 300mm immediately around a fire (except ornamental); it can only withstand 50 degrees; Lime render & a special heat proof plaster should be used.

Neither should lining paper be used within the same area; unless it’s non-combustible it won’t comply with Building Regulations. Only lasting solution would be to hack the plaster off back to the brick & start again using the correct materials.

Thanks Richard
Wish the builder who replastered had known that! Won't use him again. I've got a marble + wood surround for the fire and it's the area above the mantle that's affected. This is over 65cm above the top of actual fire itself. The cracks appear all the way up almost to the ceiling. Any wallpaper just splits because the cracking is so bad. The plaster just falls off in chunks when I scrape the walls. I've had the flue checked out. I'll now try another builder to use the plaster you suggested. Thanks.
KP

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back