Problems with plaster & lining paper - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a new combi boiler installed so the water tank was taken out and I was left with a nice big cupboard in my bedroom that was in bad condition but with potential for being turned into a wardrobe. The walls were plaster over wooden lats, with a lot of holes in the plaster and some of the lats coming away, and lots of cracks and little holes in the walls & ceiling, so the plan was to sort the walls out, put up lining paper, then repaint it and fit a rail and some shelves.

On Saturday my stepdad (who is very handy at all sorts of DIY) reattached the broken lats and used plaster to fill in the holes in the walls. He didn't put any kind of topcoat on the plaster, since we were going to be papering over it. I then filled the small holes with polyfilla.
I left it all to dry, then on Tuesday morning I painted wallsize over the newly plastered bits and left it to dry for 24 hours. Yesterday afternoon I hung lining paper, which was very difficult as the walls are very unevenand lumpy, especially in the corners. This afternoon I painted over the paper with matt emulsion, but unfortunately the paper started coming away from the wall in places (along the edges and in corners).
Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the paper might be coming away, and what I can do about it? It's not just in the areas with new plaster, the lining paper is fine in some of the newly plastered sections so I don't think it's to do with that. Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
It could be coming away cause of lack of paste on the edges and corners, or you never left the lining paper to soak long enough. :cry:

Or the surface is very absorbent and dries the paste too quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back