How would you tackle this? gaps in lining paper from old rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a stud wall that was lined with lining paper and paint

we had a radiator on this wall and we have taken it off and placing the rad on another wall

its left some gaps in the plaster, im getting some plaster work done on other walls so the plasterer will fill the old screw holes but not sure how i can tackle the gaps in the lining paper

is it a case of removing lining paper from the wall and starting again? or is there any trade secrets i can use to fill these in? the wall is to be painted

Sponsored Links
I'm just a DIYer but I've been patching blown plaster today and found a whole piece of lining paper missing behind a wardrobe whilst decorating. Thing is the lining paper, which is mainly well intact has a relief pattern texture and I couldn't find any liner to match so I've just used polyfiller finishing skim in the big tub £13ish, which comes with wide spatula to feather in the edges of the missing sheet and once lightly sanded will paint over. We've done the same with removed radiators before too after using filler for the deeper plug holes. If your liner is the smooth sort I'd think it should be pretty straight forward with a steady hand. Good luck!

I don't see any way you could fill that and make it totally invisible. I would strip the lining paper from the wall. Personally I'm not a fan of painted lining paper, so I'd sugar soap the wall and make good any defects. If it's more than a little bad, I'd have it reskimmed. But you could re-paper it, of course.

Cheers
Richard

It is possible to cover small gaps in lining paper by filling and sanding, but you need to do it very well and build up a texture with coats of roller paint on the repaired area to blend in.
In your case though, I would do as Richard says and strip it, although I do think papered walls look nice and smooth so would repaper it, but it's up to how good the wall underneath is ;)

Sponsored Links
thanks guys

have got me some wall paper stripper gear to start the job this evening

not done wall paper stuff for many years, ordered the Polycell Wallpaper Stripper solution, i take i just soak on with a sponge and scrape off?

Yes but soak soak and soak again till the paper is uniformly dark at which point it will come of quicker than a strippers G string!

If you need to do much scraping it isn't wet enough, you will save yourself a lot of damage to the wall with the scraper that way ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back