Making a wall wardrobe in extension - need advice.

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an extension at the back...
I need advice on building a wall wardrobe going all the way across.

We have a boiler in the corner. The original plan was just to cover up the boiler. But then I thought... heck, why not go all the way across and add some extra storage!?

Me: never done any woodworking - but am handy with just about anything.
Should I do myself?

Plan:
  • Make a frame - like you do for a stud wall.
  • Buy shiny kitchen door units (and add add door dampers - seen in Ikea - looks great + use standard kitchen door hinges).
  • Have some units have a glass part - so can use as a showcase.
The above doesnt sound like rocket science to me. I'm thinking... I dont need to hire a carpenter. The doors should be nicely finished. And what's behind and inside doesnt really matter?

Some things I'm not sure about...
  • Where to get top and bottom parts matching the doors...
  • I was planning to get doors from eBay kitchen door sellers. Assuming I can get from them as well maybe.
  • The frame itself... how do I match with the colour of the doors?
  • I saw one video on youtube... the guy said having a backing, even a flimsy wood one, helps the structure hold itself. I wasnt planning on having - I thought if secured from floor to ceiling then all is OK?
I really want to give it a go myself.
Any advice?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You can buy doors without the rest of the wardrobe structure from IKEA.

What's the size of the opening. Have you considered sliding doors. You fit a track to the bottom, a bar of wood across the top of the ceiling, and then another one at the height of the top runner. You put up a couple of upright braces, and the melamine chipboard to cover it all.

@endecotp ikea is really expensive for the doors. much cheaper to buy online.

@Doggit i should have said... it's 4m wide x 40cm. Height not 100% sure... but is the normal height of a room.
Sliding doors sounds OK - but i think would prefer just normal doors.
Melamine chipboard? What if I went for bright orange for the doors? I suppose I have no choice but to get the wood from the same place as the doors.
Let me know what you think anyway.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you want simple slab doors, you could get some boards cut and edged.

That way you can also get side trims and flat plinth and cornice to match.

https://www.cutwrights.com/new/home

I personally think carcases are easier to build than constructing framework, if you are wanting internal shelving then carcasing makes sense. If you just want hanging rails then framework would be ok.

AT 4m wide by about 2.4m high (depth not so important), you either want 8x500mm doors across the width, the vertical number will depend on the height of the doors. You might be able to use 500 wide melamine face chipboard, and they'd go floor to ceiling, so you need to work out the door sizes before you go much further. You could look to see if there are any cheap Ikea wardrobes cupboards etc, and fit them side by side, and if you can get them in white (or a spare door etc), then you can use that for infills at the sides and the tops.

@Doggit, the doors, i didnt want going from top to bottom. for a column, i say wanted 2 or even 3 doors.
i love ikea. :)
but just for doors... from what i've seen, they charge a lot.

i'm also thinking about pvc wrapping, someone suggested i can get for refurbishing kitchens

@endecotp YES... my bad... not a wardrobe at all :)
I wasnt sure how else to describe!
The price of those doors in Ikea are very reasonable!
I can easily see buying the white blank ones and decorating with stick on decals.
Something for me to consider. :)
THANKS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back