Making an archway out of a square hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an ugly square sided opening between my lounge and dining room which I would like to 'soften up' a bit by adding curved corners to form a kind of archway.

Originally I had planned to increase the height of this as it is only about 6' but my investigation has revealed a bl**dy great steel girder at this 6' level. I figure removing this, modifying the opening and replacing with new lintel will cost more than this is worth..?!

Anyway, does anyone know of any simple way to form an archway in a square opening? I seem to vaguely recall some plaster-type corner pieces you could fit, rather like coving, but I can't seem to find anything. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm by no means an experienced plasterer but I have seen these kits in the big sheds - have considered them and they do seem to make an easy job of it but I think you still need to skim over it

thanks for that big-all but i'm looking for something less decorative to simply blend into the wall rather than making a feature of it, and so far my searches have found nothing.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back