Making back gate higher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at making the back garden a bit more secure after a spat of break ins around the area.

A neighbour has put slotted wood above there gate which looks quite nice.

We'd paint it grey to blend in.

IMG_20201207_101918.jpg

The only other idea I have for our gate is to put a piece of wood across the top clearing the door and buy some plastic grey spikes.
IMG_20201207_134232_1.jpg

Anyone done anything similar? Looking for ideas.

Sponsored Links
I rebuilt my gate a few years back by badly extending the side posts with lap joins and using more feather edge boards. It looks ok but is a bit crap

If I were you I'd just add some trellis and paint it all in one colour. Trellis won't take weight so is a bitch to climb without breaking and possibly cutting yourself. A high but solid gate might just be a bit harder to climb.

I guess your gate is about 6ft?

trellis fixed to the wall is a good move. It splinters noisily if you try to climb it, and tends to leave splinters and spikes in your skin and clothes.

I wouldn't use spikes or barbed wire because of cats or birds.

You can plant a nice spiky rose or something and train it along the wall and over the gate. The trellis will support it or you can run plain wires. Spiky roses are very good for burglars.

Presumably you do actually lock the gate? The gate and lock have to withstand someone kicking or barging it, or grabbing the top to pull it towards them, if it hinges that way. You can paint the top of the gate, and the downpipe, with tacky anti-climb paint, at a height where innocent people will not brush against it.

When your T-hinges rust through and break, replace with hook-and-band, one third the width of the gate, which are much stronger and more durable. Have one upside down to prevent the gate being lifted off.

I guess your gate is about 6ft?

trellis fixed to the wall is a good move. It splinters noisily if you try to climb it, and tends to leave splinters and spikes in your skin and clothes.

I wouldn't use spikes or barbed wire because of cats or birds.

You can plant a nice spiky rose or something and train it along the wall and over the gate. The trellis will support it or you can run plain wires. Spiky roses are very good for burglars.
Yes it's about 6ft

Tbh I was thinking about adding some 2x4 pieces either side and screwing them into the walls then attaching trellis or slats of wood painted.

Just wanted to make the back gate higher and make the Mrs feel abit more secure there's already a camera covering the back and a security light

Yes we padlock the top bolt it just goes into the wooden post and there's a lock in the middle I keep meaning to add another bolt for the bottom.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A hasp for your padlock would be a starter, LOL.
Seriously though, that drainpipe outside the door is as good as a ladder to a thief. You need to put some kind of deterrent on/around the pipe for starters. How far up the adjoining wall does it go? Full roof height? You may be able to get some barbed/razor wire wrapped around it about 2.7metres above ground level or paint some anti-vandal paint around it at the same sort of height. Putting notices up shows would be thieves they may possibly come to harm if they try to climb over. If you put battens across they may kick them off when they climb the drainpipe, (assuming you haven't used paint/wire to prevent them), or if they are securely fixed then simply climb over the battens.

They grey plastic spikes is a good idea and perfectly within the law. If you can get the tips of the spikes to bend forward a bit as well this will act as a further deterrent. A PIR security light, high enough up, which comes on when someone approaches the gate may also help.

A hasp for your padlock would be a starter, LOL.
Seriously though, that drainpipe outside the door is as good as a ladder to a thief. You need to put some kind of deterrent on/around the pipe for starters. How far up the adjoining wall does it go? Full roof height? You may be able to get some barbed/razor wire wrapped around it about 2.7metres above ground level or paint some anti-vandal paint around it at the same sort of height. Putting notices up shows would be thieves they may possibly come to harm if they try to climb over. If you put battens across they may kick them off when they climb the drainpipe, (assuming you haven't used paint/wire to prevent them), or if they are securely fixed then simply climb over the battens.

They grey plastic spikes is a good idea and perfectly within the law. If you can get the tips of the spikes to bend forward a bit as well this will act as a further deterrent. A PIR security light, high enough up, which comes on when someone approaches the gate may also help.
LOL the padlock is just resting there we put it on the bolt at the top.

The drainpipe outside is on the garage and is pretty flimsy tbh

I've been looking at stegastrip where the spikes are at all different angles

I put the brown plastic spikes o my mother in laws gate, waste of time - putting a jacket on it allowed someone to climb over.
Build it up as advised.

Look at it from the outside and think of ways to get in yourself, including climbing on the garage.

Grease the back of the drainpipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back