Making exterior plywood waterproof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for any suggestions and products that I can buy to paint or lay onto 8x4 ft sheets of ply wood to make it waterproof. the sheets will be used for the back outer walls of a summerhouse which is fitted in the corner of a garden and not much gap at all to maintain it so I want it to last.

one option was to fibreglass them with the same UV resistant product I use on the roof but this seems expensive. I've 6 sheets to seal.

The two sides are facing away from the elements so 9/10 won't take much weather.

Sponsored Links
I am planning to replace an old rotting shed in the bottom corner of the garden soon, and I will be using box profile steel profile sheets on the sides that I will have no access to when the shed is finished.

I've got a build in a similar position - have used correx sheets pinned to the ply and sealed with waterproof gaffer tape on any joins, this is for any non-visible parts of the build. Any visible parts have been clad with upvc cladding.

Sponsored Links
When you say felt do you mean nail on or the torch on mineral felt?

I did think about the UV resistant clear plastic not sure of its name, its like round corrugated held on with screws and water tight dome caps then you can push in foam inserts to blank off the gaps at the ends.

I can just and so slide up to get screws in to fasten the panels or screw them from the inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back